The course in Neurosurgery (Brain) took place for the 10th time this year, from May 25-27, 2021. Under the academic leadership of Weill Cornell the course was held virtually as an OMInar.
Dr. Jared Knopman directed this course for fifth time since 2012. Special thanks to our highly dedicated co-course director Dr. Claudius Thomé who has been a part of the OMI faculty for more than 10 years.
The faculty was completed by Dr. Antonio Bernardo, Dr. Christian Freyschlag, Dr. Michael G. Kaplitt, Dr. Johannes Kerschbaumer, Dr. Martin Ortler, Dr. Philip E. Stieg and one new faculty member: Dr. Rohan Ramakrishna. Welcome to the OMI team!
This year‘s schedule covered the following topics:
- Carotid Revascularization (Dr. Jared Knopman | Weill Cornell Medicine)
- Brain Tumor Surgery in 2021 (Dr. Rohan Ramakrishna | Weill Cornell Medicine)
- Sellar Surgery (Dr. Claudius Thomé | Medical University of Innsbruck)
- Epilepsy Surgery (Dr. Martin Ortler | Vienna Healthcare Network)
- Pain Surgery (Dr. Michael G. Kaplitt | Weill Cornell Medicine)
- Surgical Approaches to Skull Base Chordomas (Dr. Antonio Bernardo | Weill Cornell Medicine)
- Surgery for Meningiomas (Dr. Johannes Kerschbaumer | Medical University of Innsbruck)
- Surgery for AVMs (Dr. Philip E. Stieg |Weill Cornell Medicine)
- Surgery for Cavernous Malformations (Dr. Claudius Thomé | Medical University of Innsbruck)
- Aneurysm Surgery (Dr. Christian Freyschlag | Medical University of Innsbruck)
32 physicians from 24 countries were selected to participate in the OMInar. The group was very engaged, which resulted in lively discussions due to many questions being addressed to the lecturers. Of the 24 submitted clinical cases, 10 were selected for publication by the course directors. The chosen participants had the chance to present them during the OMInar and discuss with the faculty and other fellows.