Under the academic leadership of Weill Cornell Medicine, this year’s seminar in Neurosurgery (Spine) took place from September 12 to 18, 2021 in Salzburg.
Course director Dr. Roger Haertl from Weill Cornell Medicine and co-course director Dr. Claudius Thomé from the Medical University of Innsbruck are both long-term OMI supporters and therefore already well acquainted with the program.
The OMI faculty on-site consisted of Dr. Massimo Balsano, Dr. Harry H. Gebhard, Dr. Lynn McGrath, Dr. Louis Chang, Dr. Sebastian Hartmann, and Dr. Karsten Schoeller. Dr. Peter D. Angevine, Dr. Eric Elowitz, Dr. Kai-Ming Fu, Dr. Ronald A. Lehman Jr., Dr. K. Daniel Riew, Dr. Zeeshan M. Sardar, and Dr. Michael S. Virk held their lectures remotely via Zoom.
One of this week’s highlights was the wet lab, which took place on Wednesday at the PMU Salzburg in cooperation with Medtronic and Zeiss. The workshop was divided into three stations: MIS lumbar surgery, posterior and anterior approaches to the cervical spine, and O-arm with navigated percutaneous posterior instrumentation. The companies sent representatives to assist fellows and faculty with any questions regarding the equipment. Thank you for your dedication this week, ensuring a smooth workflow and supporting our fellows!
Lectures on Monday, September 13, 2021
- 6 Ts of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery (Dr. Roger Haertl)
- MISS Over the Top Decompression and MIS TLIF/TBD (Dr. Louis Chang)
- Decision Making in MISS (Dr. Roger Haertl)
- Spinal Surgery and Evidence-Based Outcomes (Dr. Claudius Thomé)
- Spinal Trauma Classifications/TBD (Dr. Louis Chang)
- Approaches to the Cervical Spine: Anterior and Posterior Techniques (Dr. Claudius Thomé)
Lectures on Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- Basic Instrumentation Techniques (Dr. Sebastian Hartmann)
- Management of Thoracolumbar Trauma/TBD (Dr. Louis Chang)
- Spinal Tumors (Dr. Claudius Thomé)
- Adult Spinal Deformity Classifications (Dr. Kai-Ming Fu)
- Pediatric Spinal Surgery (Dr. Peter D. Angevine)
Lectures on Thursday, September 16, 2021
- Spinal Metastases (Dr. Karsten Schoeller)
- Lateral Approaches to the Spine (Dr. Massimo Balsano)
- Management of Spinal Infections (Dr. Lynn McGrath)
- Cervical Deformity Correction (Dr. K. Daniel Riew)
- Navigation and Robotics in Spinal Surgery (Dr. Ronald A. Lehman Jr.)
Lectures on Friday, September 17, 2021
- Management of Idiopathic Scoliosis (Dr. Massimo Balsano)
- Management of Cervical Spine Trauma (Dr. Lynn McGrath)
- Spinal Endoscopy (Dr. Lynn McGrath)
- Basics of Adult Spinal Deformity Correction (Dr. Zeeshan M. Sardar)
- Spinal Trauma; Surgical Management (Dr. Michael S. Virk)
- Quality and Safety in Spinal Surgery (Dr. Eric Elowitz)
24 fellows from 19 countries attended this week’s seminar. As every week, the fellows presented a clinical case from their own work experience. Six cases were chosen to be published in the OMI Case Library, which contains all the excellent cases from the previous OMI seminars and OMInars.
Please find this week’s seminar report here. Two fellows shared their experiences in a diary.