The 2021 seminar on Otology and Temporal Bone Surgery took place from September 5 to 11 at Schloss Arenberg.
Course Director Dr. Samuel H. Selesnick from Weill Cornell Medicine and Dr. Gerd Rasp from the General Hospital of Salzburg worked together to create a compelling schedule, including three temporal bone laboratory trainings at the PMU Salzburg.
The trainings were run in collaboration with Medtronic, MED-EL, and Karl Storz, who sent team members to Salzburg to ensure everything worked smoothly and to assist fellows with any questions. Thank you very much for your commitment to the success of this years’ temporal bone labs!
In addition to our two course directors, the OMI faculty consisted of leading experts in the field of Otology and Temporal Bone Surgery: Dr. Nikolas H. Blevins (Stanford Universtiy), Dr. Lawrence R. Lustig (Columbia University), Dr. George Alexiades (Weill Cornell Medicine), Dr. Christoph Arnoldner (Medical University of Vienna), Dr. Cem Meco (Ankara University) and Dr. Sebastian Rösch (General Hospital of Salzburg). All faculty members have been dedicated to supporting our programs for many years.
The OMI faculty did not only teach and supervise during the laboratory trainings on Tuesday and Wednesday, where each fellow had the possibility to improve his or her surgery skills, but they also held interesting lectures on the following topics:
Lectures on Monday, September 6, 2021
- Temporal Bone Anatomy (Dr. Nikolas H. Blevins)
- Otosclerosis and Stapedectomy (Dr. Samuel H. Selesnick)
- Cochlear Implantation (Dr. Gerd Rasp)
- Canal Wall Intact Mastoidectomy (Dr. Nikolas H. Blevins)
- Canal Wall Down Mastoidectomy (Dr. Lawrence R. Lustig)
- Skull Base Surgery (Dr. Samuel H. Selesnick)
Lectures on Thursday, September 9, 2021
- Surgery for Cancer of the Temporal Bone (Dr. Sebastian Roesch)
- Surgery of the External Auditory Canal (Dr. Christoph Arnoldner)
- Temporal Bone Anatomy: Recapitulation (Dr. Samuel H. Selesnick)
- Tympanoplasty and Grafts (Dr. George Alexiades)
- Endoscopes in Otologic Surgery (Dr. Cem Meco)
- Vestibular Surgery (Dr. George Alexiades)
Lectures on Friday, September 10, 2021
- Ossiculoplasty: Middle Ear Surgery (Dr. Nikolas H. Blevins)
- Temporal Bone Trauma (Dr. Christoph Arnoldner)
- BAHA and Powered Implants (Dr. Lawrence R. Lustig)
- Petrous Apex: Otologic Approaches (Dr. George Alexiades)
- Petrous Apex: Rhinologic Approaches (Dr. Cem Meco)
An impressive number of 35 fellows from 23 different countries were invited to attend this seminar. Due to the laboratory training, the seminar was highly interactive with many possibilities to address the lecturers with questions, which resulted in fruitful discussions between and amongst both fellows and faculty. The individual test results demonstrated that the entire group had a steep learning curve.
Every week, fellows are asked to present medical cases from their own experience. This week, six case presentations were chosen to be published in the OMI Case Library, which contains all of the excellent cases from the previous OMI seminars and OMInars.
Click here to read this week’s seminar report! Fellow Dr. Anna Svejdova from Czech Republic shared her impressions via an insightful diary.